Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Levy County Planning Commission Public hearing re:Tarmac

Posted by Ed Candela 
Levy County Planning Commission Public hearing re:Tarmac
February 15, 2011 10:53AM
All Interested Parties:

Just this morning, I have been advised that the county attorney expects to have time to put the staff recommended conditions of approval in legal format (order to approve) and to construct the order to deny, which will enable the Development Department to provide them to the Planning Commission with the staff report in ample time to schedule a mid-March meeting. All members of the Planning Commission have agreed to the following meeting date, affirmed by the Chairman last Friday (2/11/11).

The public hearing to be held by the Levy County Planning Commission to decide a recommendation for approval, denial, or approval with certain conditions attach thereto for the Tarmac Special Exception Use application for "Major Mining" has been scheduled for March 14, 2011, @ 6:30 p.m. in Court Room "A."

The time and date of the public hearing for final action on the Tarmac application, to be held by the Levy County Board of County Commissioners, will be decided and announced at a regular board meeting following the conclusion of PC hearing.

The Development Department expects to provide the members of the PC and the applicant with a copy of the staff reports and the staff recommended conditions of approval this Friday, February 18, 2011, barring any unforeseen difficulties. That should provide all members of the PC and the applicant approximately 3 weeks to review. Seeing as all PC members have had the Tarmac application and supporting documents for more than 4 months, there should be ample time to review the Development Department and Planning Department's staff comments, and the staff recommended conditions of approval (about 60-65 pages, total).

Notice: Should any interested party wish for the Development Department to distribute copies of any documents they wish the PC members to receive while we are delivering the Development Department's packet, they would need to be delivered to the Development Department by 9:00 a.m. Friday, February 18, 2011. Please provide a cover letter outlining the contents of your submittal and from whom they are provided. Summaries of any lengthy reports would be appreciated by all. Please provide a minimum of 18 copies. [one for all PC and BOCC voting members, including the PC alternates (13), one for the master file, one for clerk's office (public records), one for the office of county attorney, one for the planning department and one for the applicant's council].

Copies of the Development Department's staff report and comments, Planners staff report and comments, and orders to approve or deny, should be available at the Development Department beginning Monday, February 21, 2011, at 9:00 p.m. Electronic copies (email) will be free of charge. Paper copies will be provided at a cost of $.15 page. Copies on CD will be $5.00 each.

The time for staff meetings or negotiations with any interested party has passed, and we do not intend to make any further revisions to the staff reports or to the staff recommended conditions of approval. The Planning Commission will decide the recommendation to the Board of County Commissioners for the approval or denial of the application, as well as what modifications to any staff recommended condition may be necessary, should they recommend approval. All decisions will be based upon competent and substantial evidence and testimony given at the hearings.

Thanks to everyone for their assistance in this matter. We look forward to your participation in the public review process.

Feel free to forward this message to anyone you may feel would like to receive it.

Robert Corbitt
Development Department Director
P.O. Box 672
Bronson, Florida 32621
levybz@bellsouth.net
Re: Levy County Planning Commission Public hearing re:Tarmac
March 06, 2011 11:10AM
The hearing date is changed. It is now set for April 4th at 6:30 PM court room A in Bronson.

The applicant wants the county to proceed in giving a Special Exception, that is, to disregard any and all aspects of the current vision for your home county and neighborhood that are present in the county's Comprehensive Plan in order to send profits to Greece.

A massive turnout is essential if there is any hope to avoid this catastrophe
In case you missed this announcement
March 14, 2011 06:15PM
Countdown time is here for the vote on the special exception and permits that the Tarmac/Kings Road Mine is seeking from the Levy County Commission. A well planned and attended, vigorous objection from the community concerning this request needs to be heard by Levy Commissioners.

All that feel revulsion at the thought of this mine operating in your neighborhood are needed to present a united front. The community needs to be heard .. not from just a few! Join us for our March 23rd planning meeting to help with the effort.

TIME: WEDNESDAY, MARCH 23, 2011 AT 7:00 P.M.
PLACE: Yankeetown / Inglis Women's Club (5 56th Street, Yankeetown, FL 34498-2200) Next to Library
PURPOSE: Strategy planning for the upcoming April 4th Levy County Commissioner's hearing in Bronson.

Mine negative impacts:
o Draw down of the Aquifer
o Potential of contaminates introduced to our water supply including Arsenic
o 13,000,000 million gallons used daily for crushing and washing
o Safety of our Citizens
o 800 trucks leaving and returning daily
o Health and quality of life suffering from dust, dirt, noise and water degradation
o Economic, social and environmental impacts to fishing, hunting and tourism
o Potential economic loss of $96.2 and 1,371 jobs according to a recent Economic Impact assessment
o Decreased property values

See you Wednesday evening … March 23rd!
Crystal River Chimes In
March 22, 2011 11:01AM
Levy limestone mine would send 250 trucks a day through Crystal River

From the Citrus Chronicle

By Mike Wright
Tuesday, March 22, 2011 at 12:00 am (Updated: March 22, 12:00 am)

Every day thousands of vehicles crawl through downtown Crystal River as they head north or south.

City officials are cringing at the thought of adding heavy rock trucks to that mix.

A company’s proposal for a limestone mine just north of Inglis includes promises of up to 250 trucks per day heading south on U.S. 19 through Crystal River — and the same amount returning empty to the quarry.

Tarmac America’s King Road Mine would produce about 3 million tons of construction-grade rock annually for use in new buildings and roads, according to the company’s website.

From 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Saturday, 500 rock trucks would leave the mine for delivery to customers in a 100-mile radius, plant manager Jeff Harris said. About half the trucks will head north on U.S. 19 and the other half head south, he said.

The company says it will not truck rock east on County Road 40 through Inglis, so material headed to Orlando would likely be trucked east on State Road 44 through Citrus County, he said.

Harris, who lives in Pine Ridge, said the additional truck traffic will have little impact on Crystal River.

“I know it sounds like a lot,” he said. “I really don’t think people will notice the difference.”

Crystal River City Manager Andy Houston disagreed.

“I did the math in my head. Ten-hour shifts, 250 trucks, that’s 25 trucks an hour. That’s a truck every three minutes,” Houston said. “I’ll notice a truck every three minutes loaded with rock. And I’m assuming they’ll be coming back through.”

Tarmac is seeking approval from the Levy County Commission to mine about 2,700 acres on property west of U.S. 19, about halfway between Inglis and Lebanon Station. The county’s planning commission has a 6:30 p.m. public hearing April 4 in Bronson.

The Crystal River City Council has a regular meeting before then — March 28 — and Councilwoman Paula Wheeler said the council should take a position.

“I think it would be devastating to Crystal River,” she said.

Wheeler said U.S. 19 traffic already divides the city’s downtown Community Redevelopment Area.

“If we have that load of rock trucks going through Crystal River, especially down by our CRA district, it could be an almost death blow to us ever getting those two sides of the district joined,” she said.

Houston said he has spoken to the Department of Transportation about creating a truck route that would start on Turkey Oak Avenue near the Crystal River Mall, but the DOT hasn’t shown much interest.

“Short of a bypass, or trying to kill the whole mine altogether, I don’t see any options,” he said.

Harris said that, pending approval from Levy County and the U.S. Corps of Engineers, the company hopes to start mining in 2014.

WHAT: Levy County Planning Commission meeting.
WHEN: 6:30 p.m. Monday, April 4.
WHERE: Levy County Courthouse, Bronson.
ON THE AGENDA: Public hearing for the Tarmac King Road Mine.
ON THE WEB: www.kingroadmine.com.
March 29, 2011 11:44AM
Council members express concerns about rock mine

By Mike Wright Chronicle
Tuesday, March 29, 2011 at 12:00 am (Updated: March 29, 12:00 am)

CRYSTAL RIVER — City council members see nothing but trouble from plans for a limerock mine in Levy County that would bring 250 rock trucks south on U.S. 19 six days a week.

Council members didn’t vote Monday night to oppose Tarmac America’s King Road Mine, but each council member said he or she thought the truck traffic would be a troublesome burden to the city.

The Levy County planning commission meets April 4 in Bronson to hear the special-exception zoning request from Tarmac. Mayor Jim Farley and City Manager Andy Houston plan to attend the meeting to pass on Crystal River’s concerns.

The company estimates 500 rock trucks would leave the mine Monday through Saturday for customers within a 100-mile radius. About half would go north on U.S. 19 toward Chiefland and the other half south through Crystal River.

“They say we won’t notice. Bull fiddle!” Farley said. “We notice the trucks going down the road now. The noise from it is horrendous. It is very much our issue.”

Tarmac plans to mine about 2,700 acres between Inglis and Lebanon Station over the course of several decades. The rock is used as material in new roads and buildings.

Crystal River officials say they do not oppose aggregate, but the potential of rock trucks regularly traveling through their congested downtown area is a concern.

“I think this could be a real disaster,” Councilman Mike Gudis said.

Councilwoman Paula Wheeler said the city should not be silent on the issue.

“If we say nothing, we are saying it’s not of major concern to us,” she said.

Councilwoman Maureen McNiff agreed. “I think silence is consent,” McNiff said.

Councilman Ron Kitchen said he has heard from many residents opposed to the mine’s rock trucks.

“I’ve heard nothing but be against this, be against this, be against this,” he said. “It’s not even a close call. What your neighbor does upstream affects you downstream.”
March 30, 2011 01:48PM
Perhaps, They (as in Crystal River City Council) should pen a letter to either Levy BOCC or Levy Planning Commission similar to that offered up from Inglis? (Hint: about 95% of US Don't want IT from here, either) Not that either of us matter if the DCA & WRPC Don't consider this a D.R.I.

Sure sounds like it would be (and I'd be willing to wager anyone out there that more than 250 DUMP TRUCKS filled with Limerock or Sand per day ALREADY pass through downtown CR....more like TRIPLE that amount, now and it was recently Triple that as the pipeline was under Construction (had some free time on my hands back in November (on election day, while selecting the intersection of Hwy 19 & Hwy 44) and in 4 hours, 978 LARGE Dump Trucks passed through heading North, South, or East' or came from the West on 44 returning from deliveries. That's a Development of Regional Impact by definition.
Think about those numbers...
then ask Yourself how long it's going to be before innocent citizens DIE, we all pay more in Taxes because of the deteriorating roads, because of all the excess truck traffic, and all the additional accidents?
And Yet CR Gets no 'say'. Inglis gets no 'say'.
NIMBY's aren't the problem.
Greed in Bronson (& Tallahassee, and Greece) might be.
April 04, 2011 12:36PM
REMINDER: A public hearing with the Levy County Planning and Zoning Department will be held

TONIGHT, Monday, April 4 at 6 PM in Courtroom “A” of the Courthouse in Bronson

to discuss the zoning exception for the Tarmac/King Road Mining operation (4,500 acres x 120 feet deep) in Southwest Levy County.

PLEASE ATTEND! This mine, if approved, will impact qualify of life for South Levy residents for a hundred years (or more).
Attachments:
open | download - Agenda - 4-4-11.pdf (20 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login