Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The culture

Posted by Steve Myers 
The culture
November 15, 2008 02:28PM
The End of The Road has many spiritual purposes. One is that teenagers like to go out there and lay down rubber.
This one gets extra points for stability.

Photos
Re: The culture
November 18, 2008 03:23PM
Betting there are many tire dealers thankful for the "artist".
Re: Everyone's favorite tree
December 02, 2008 04:05PM
It's the rare person who goes to The End of The Road with a camera for the first time and doesn't take a picture of this tree.
This is not my first time, but it needs to be documented now.
This afternoon, or tomorrow morning, a developer could decide it is the perfect spot for a TGI Friday's or Bob Evans.

Photos
Available at the local library
December 17, 2008 05:12PM
I recommend If Nothin' Don't Happen by David M. Newell. I've known about the book forever, but never got around to it until last week. Wow! It probably won't do anything for anyone who doesn't already "get it," but still...
The A.F. Knotts has two or three copies on its Florida shelves, so you don't even have to order it from elsewhere in the Levy County library system.

Photos
December 17, 2008 10:29PM
"A Land Remembered" is also really good
December 17, 2008 11:15PM
Thanks, Genie. I will get to that one, if nothin' don't happen.

Photos
December 18, 2008 01:35AM
Steve,
here's one for You...

"Sick Puppy" by Carl Hiaasen, 2000.

Based in Levy County of all places and a script for all the bogus bullcrap recently experienced.

"Truth is stranger than fiction?"

Not exactly.
December 18, 2008 09:09AM
i also recommend:

"friction, better than truth". see librarian.

sy
Anonymous User
December 18, 2008 04:11PM
Yum! TGI Fridays or Bob Evans sounds good to us!
Re: The good old days
December 28, 2008 03:39PM
I have blacked out the names of the bad guys and those associated with them. Maybe they have cleaned up their acts, and if so, they don't need their names spread around all these years later. But it's still a good story.

And I still miss Devon.

Photos
January 23, 2009 10:10PM
I go to the end of the road for a sunset. Then when it seems like it's over, I'm always afraid to turn away, because I might miss something.
Sure enough, as soon as I got in the truck and drove too far back toward the house, this one became spectacular. Shucks.

Photos
January 24, 2009 02:54PM
still looks pretty good to me!

Steve, You don't always have to be in the "perfect spot"
to get the "perfect shot".
January 24, 2009 06:18PM
Thanks for capturing that.

I was driving home down the Williston Road towards the Forest and looking at it from a distance for a long time ... very spectacular sky Friday night, even though from the distant highway I didn't get to see the big orange flaming cheeseball drop into the gulf.

d.d.
Anonymous User
January 25, 2009 02:20AM
Douglas Dame,

You obviously hadn't had dinner yet !!!

Steve, What a fantastic picture, and so many people miss that precious moment in time by just not looking back. It's beautiful, Thank you, Steve.

February 04, 2009 11:13AM
I did see the cheeseball drop. It was good, but not fabulous. Still, I got some pleasing colors before leaving.
[www.yankeetown.org]
It was after that when the explosion happened in the rearview mirror.

Photos

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2009 05:52AM by Steve Myers.
Things to do
March 04, 2009 01:05PM
If you grow up in the country or an isolated small town, you have no choice but to make your own fun. So you do.

If you grow up in the city, and if you have an imagination, you also can make your own fun. And you are in the minority.
If you fall into the unimaginative majority, you need constant external stimuli and other people's ideas to keep you entertained. This carries into your adult years. It causes you to demand that the world entertain your children, too. Yet there's a good chance you consider the self-entertainers to be hicks. Imagine that.

Photos
Re: Things to do
March 04, 2009 01:16PM
Perfectly put Steve;

"oh You don't know what You've got 'till it's gone,
They paved paradise & put up a parking lot."
-Joni Mitchell

1st thing that came to mind after reading Your thought;
-Mick
Re: The boat ramp
April 09, 2009 01:12PM
Among its uses, the boat ramp has been a mechanism for thinning out the gene pool -- sort of like lightning on golf courses.
With the recent installation of rumble strips, the selection criteria have been narrowed, but there remains some value.

Photos
Re: The boat ramp
April 09, 2009 01:52PM
Steve,
Please find attached, a picture of the "boat ramp" at the end of the dirt road of our former residence prior moving down here.

Yes, That IS the Suwannee River (at normal height, or so) and yes, the dirt road DOES drive right in to it. Thinning out the Gene Pool, or "natural selection" as I like to call it, up there has never been an issue. For all the folks who care to call N.Florida Crackers (or in this case "as much as"), You will note there are NO WARNING SIGNS, No "Flashing lights", No "Speed Bumps"....nada, zilch, nothing.

Ironically, EVERY Weekend it sees EASILY the traffic (if not more) as the local "ramp" in question.

In the last 19 YEARS guess how many "d-a'ed" "rednecks" have put their fancy (or otherwise) pickup trucks in the drink?

Put Your index finger to Your thumb & examine the hole in between;
So say what You want, the last folks (who's picture was in the paper complete w/the 5th wheel hung up camper trailer) best I recall were from Wisconsin? While 1 would expect folks rolling back too far loading/unloading boats to be the culprit, ours seems to be the "clueless"?
They wouldn't last an hour 80 mi. NW;
the term up there is "gator bait".

Who You are speaks so loudly, I can't hear what You're saying?
Who hears me, who understands me, becomes mine, a possession for all time.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
April 09, 2009 02:00PM
picture didn't take, here it is
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login